Skip to main content

Reforming Nomad

I am a nomad and I have learnt to accept it. Truth be told I probably got it from my mum. When I was growing up we never stayed in one place too long. By the time I was done with primary school I had been to 7 different schools. Yeah seven, as in the number of levels there are in primary school. Same thing with junior school. 3 separate schools, one for each form. So naturally I never got attached to any one place. The only time I ever cried when we moved was in standard 5, I was only 11 and literally at the prime of primary school life and then up we left. I vowed after that to never get too attached to one place. This is probably why I never bothered making friends because who knew how long before I would have to leave them again.  It was only at tertiary level, that I stayed at one place for an extended period of time. But even then I attended two different universities, seas apart, just to complete my degree. In short I have been a nomad all my life. 

This has proved to be a problem in my adult life. Because of my moving around I get bored with things easily. Be it a project, people and most importantly jobs. The moment it gets monotonous I have that itching feeling to move on to something new. It's probably coupled with being a millennial, apparently we don't keep jobs for too long. This results in me having a long list of short stints at various jobs which let's be honest doesn't really scream 'hire me'. So when I began to feel this itch recently I made it my life's mission to combat it. I did research and even asked some of my friends about it. One person I asked told me about a trick they use that has worked for them. He is a creative who constantly needs a different environment to keep his creative juices flowing. He told me that whenever he felt like he was getting bored or blocked he would switch up his bedroom. This included a mixture of rearranging his furniture, repainting his room and sometimes even switching rooms in his house! And he has been at the same job and lived in the same house for almost 4 years now! Another friend told me to constantly set targets and goals for myself in my workplace. That way I would always have something to look forward to and achieving which is bound to keep me on my toes and interested. 

I have also come across a few articles suggesting the following:
Work somewhere new. If your work allows you to be flexible then don't just stay in the office. Work from a library or a coffee shop or even outside in the park. Basically mix it up.
Hang out with different people. Meeting and talking to new people is one of the joys of lives. They open up your mind to new ideas and possibilities with their varying views and opinions on different topics. 
Travel, travel, travel! If you can't change your environment permanently why not change it temporarily. I guarantee you will come back refreshed and ready to go that monotonous job.

I have only just started to implement all of these so I can't guarantee that they will work for fellow nomads like myself. But I will definitely keep y'all updated on how its going. Hopefully they will help not only me but everyone else who is in the same situation as me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Becoming 30!

                                    When I was 9 I wanted to be a pilot. I had just discovered my love for Maths and we were doing those problems solving questions in class that I absolutely love. Someone had told me pilots needed to be good in maths and science and that fit my description to a T! And then when I was 11 I wanted to be a lawyer. Lawyers talked a lot and knew about history and could defend themselves, and that was my whole personality then. Then 2 years later at 13 I discovered actuaries. They dealt with numbers and statistics and insurance and after one episode on SABC 2 about the day in the life of an actuary, I was convinced! I wanted to be an actuary for a while after that. Then finally 3 years later at 16 I learnt more about our then president, H.E. Dr Festus Mogae. He was an Economist. He combined his knowledge for maths and wanting to help people into being an economist. It was a no brainer after that, I wanted to be the female version of him. Honorary mention goe

"Love"

Can I let you on on a big secret? I am a sucker for love, romance, fairytale ending, the works. And for the first time I am happy to say I am not ashamed of it. Why should I be? Sure love hurts and it involves heartache and drama and binge eating - okay if I don't stop now I might retract that statement. I just recently discovered a poet called Rumi, he said: All we need is love's confusing joy . Dude was on point! If we are all really honest with ourselves we know what we want and that is someone who will accept us with our perfections and imperfections. Someone who will never leave no matter the mistakes we find ourselves making. Basically someone to love us. But lets face it, we are afraid. Everyone is afraid to open up, to be vulnerable, to give someone else the power to hurt us, some more than others. Truth be told I am scared too, just like everyone else the fear of getting hurt stops me from enjoying the fruits of love. But who can blame me, look around, nobody really

28

I am really not great with birthdays, mine that is. Every time August 5 th comes around, something in my brain just starts going haywire. And as I get closer to 30, things keep getting worse. However this year I want to switch things up and look at this wonderful day with a different set of lens. So, in my impulsive decision making, I decided to do a list of things I am grateful for. One for each year that I have been on this earth. So, here goes 28 things I am grateful for   1. My life. This one is pretty standard. I have lived a healthy life and free from this horrible pandemic.  2. My son’s life ; Leruo, who is going to be 3 years old in a week’s time. Yes we are both Leos.  3. My family. See if I was smart I would name them one by one and add to my list.  4. My friends . I have a great support system in terms of my friends. They are always ready to listen to my random thoughts and offer advice where necessary.  5. Winnie. I know technically she falls under friends, but she is w