Skip to main content

Of Lockdown and All It's Other Unfinished Inmates

*Sigh* 
It's been a while since I jotted down my thoughts on this blog, and by a while I mean years. I don't want to count them because I would probably start crying but I have had my reasons. The most significant one being that I became a MOTHER! Yes you heard right, I am responsible for another human being that is not me. And in the spirit of keeping my life compartmentalized, I started a mommy blog where I have been doing most of my writing. You are free to check it out here. Anyway back to my long awaited return. I am back because (yes you guessed it) we are facing a pandemic. I am of course referring to covid-19. Figures that the thing to bring me back to this blog would be a life threatening pandemic, I have always been dramatic like that.

So yes, covid-19... It's Day 29 of the national lockdown (Botswana) and I have finally reached my breaking point. Let me break it down. I am fortunate to be one of those people who are still employed during this difficult time and I am working from home. The first 2 weeks were bliss! Working from home has always been one of my dreams. You get to set your own hours, work around your productivity, blah,blah, blah. But alas, all good things must come to an end. By the wend of week 2 my momentum had dwindled. Dragging myself from bed every morning became unbearable. I miss the office gossip, the lunch hours where you could go window shopping, the little things you know. But I still soldiered on (still am).

I also used this (lockdown) opportunity to try to write more. My creativity had been drying up and it needed a little boost. So I started a 'Lockdown Poetry' group with some of my poet friends and acquaintances with the hope that I would feel more inspired. My newfound inspiration lasted a whole week and a half and it died. Are you sensing a pattern here? Not yet? Okay I will continue. Still inspired by this 'free time' I decided to take up yoga, you know for relaxing and flexibility and if we are being honest, cool instagram pictures. I have only done it three times in the past 29 days. Is the pattern getting clearer now? I am the queen of unfinished projects, just ask all the short stories I have published. Nevertheless I am proud of myself for trying to be productive. It might not have worked out but it did keep me busy. And who knows, I might just finish what I started because 3 more weeks have been added to the lockdown. Yaaay! More time to try out new things and never finish them. I think I will try out Spanish lessons and baking next. I know this is a short entry but I am easing my way into it. Hopefully this will not be one of my many unfinished projects.

How are you coping with the current situation? I really would like to know.

P.S. It feels good to be back, I missed y'all.

Comments

  1. Thank you for gracing us with such a beautiful read.. relatable on so many levels..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Becoming 30!

                                    When I was 9 I wanted to be a pilot. I had just discovered my love for Maths and we were doing those problems solving questions in class that I absolutely love. Someone had told me pilots needed to be good in maths and science and that fit my description to a T! And then when I was 11 I wanted to be a lawyer. Lawyers talked a lot and knew about history and could defend themselves, and that was my whole personality then. Then 2 years later at 13 I discovered actuaries. They dealt with numbers and statistics and insurance and after one episode on SABC 2 about the day in the life of an actuary, I was convinced! I wanted to be an actuary for a while after that. Then finally 3 years later at 16 I learnt more about our then president, H.E. Dr Festus Mogae. He was an Economist. He combined his knowledge for maths and wanting to help people into being an economist. It was a no brainer after that, I wanted to be the female version of him. Honorary mention goe

"Love"

Can I let you on on a big secret? I am a sucker for love, romance, fairytale ending, the works. And for the first time I am happy to say I am not ashamed of it. Why should I be? Sure love hurts and it involves heartache and drama and binge eating - okay if I don't stop now I might retract that statement. I just recently discovered a poet called Rumi, he said: All we need is love's confusing joy . Dude was on point! If we are all really honest with ourselves we know what we want and that is someone who will accept us with our perfections and imperfections. Someone who will never leave no matter the mistakes we find ourselves making. Basically someone to love us. But lets face it, we are afraid. Everyone is afraid to open up, to be vulnerable, to give someone else the power to hurt us, some more than others. Truth be told I am scared too, just like everyone else the fear of getting hurt stops me from enjoying the fruits of love. But who can blame me, look around, nobody really

Out of my comfort zone

For what I am about to share to make sense, I need to give you a bit of background information. I am what my friends call an 'activity slut'. Its kind of a harsh term but completely factual. I am the kind of person who participates in literally everything that I come across, be it charity organisations, school related projects, societies, etc. If I feel like I could contribute something to any project I do it, without any hesitation. I love working with people and trying to make the lives of people around me better and being involved in all these projects gives me the opportunity to do just that. I also do it for selfish reasons, I want to leave a legacy that will live on for decades after I have left this earth. I want to be remembered by each and everyone I come in contact with. What? I am only human! But one thing I never do is get involved in anything where I am uncertain about its success. All my moves are calculated, I only take part in things  I know for sure I will be