Skip to main content

Becoming 30!

                                   


When I was 9 I wanted to be a pilot. I had just discovered my love for Maths and we were doing those problems solving questions in class that I absolutely love. Someone had told me pilots needed to be good in maths and science and that fit my description to a T!

And then when I was 11 I wanted to be a lawyer. Lawyers talked a lot and knew about history and could defend themselves, and that was my whole personality then. Then 2 years later at 13 I discovered actuaries. They dealt with numbers and statistics and insurance and after one episode on SABC 2 about the day in the life of an actuary, I was convinced! I wanted to be an actuary for a while after that.

Then finally 3 years later at 16 I learnt more about our then president, H.E. Dr Festus Mogae. He was an Economist. He combined his knowledge for maths and wanting to help people into being an economist. It was a no brainer after that, I wanted to be the female version of him.

Honorary mention goes to Journalism, Archaeology and History of Art. Those were some of the other careers I thought about over the years. And for context, I am a millennial. We were told that any value we had and any identity we had was derived from our jobs and our contribution to society. So what you chose to be/do was pretty important, you had to put in a lot of work into that decision.

So finally at 18 I was enrolled in University and on my way to be a Mathematician and/or Economist. My life was never simpler. To top it off, a year or so later I met a guy who I thought would complete the whole circle. Oh, did I forget to mention that my success and value also depended on whether I was married or not? My bad. But yes, there I was, in a semi-successful long term relationship heading towards marriage and a promising fulfilling career as an economist or at least econometrician.



Except life doesn't really follow your formula and success isn't linear. It took me a while, and I mean a really long while to redefine my version of success. I am going to be 30 in a couple of days, unmarried (and not seeing it happening in the foreseeable future), a single parent and NOT an economist/econometrician. But I still see myself as successful. I recently read an enlightening book about self sabotage; The Mountain Is You and realised that the reason I was so unhappy in my life was that I was still holding on to 16 year old me's version of success. I was so naive and young then, my success vision was almost impossible. 

Right now, my version of success looks like getting to work on time everyday all week. Success is making sure that my 5 year old has done all his homework in time on the weekend. And it also means coming home with no pending work from the office. My biggest lesson at 30 is the need to readjust your dictionary and expectations based on the person you have become now. 16 year old me would be slightly disappointed in the person I have become because she was so jaded, but trust that 25 year old me is proud of the person I have become.


P.S. Writing a blog post is on my list of to do things on my #RoadTo30

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Love"

Can I let you on on a big secret? I am a sucker for love, romance, fairytale ending, the works. And for the first time I am happy to say I am not ashamed of it. Why should I be? Sure love hurts and it involves heartache and drama and binge eating - okay if I don't stop now I might retract that statement. I just recently discovered a poet called Rumi, he said: All we need is love's confusing joy . Dude was on point! If we are all really honest with ourselves we know what we want and that is someone who will accept us with our perfections and imperfections. Someone who will never leave no matter the mistakes we find ourselves making. Basically someone to love us. But lets face it, we are afraid. Everyone is afraid to open up, to be vulnerable, to give someone else the power to hurt us, some more than others. Truth be told I am scared too, just like everyone else the fear of getting hurt stops me from enjoying the fruits of love. But who can blame me, look around, nobody really

Out of my comfort zone

For what I am about to share to make sense, I need to give you a bit of background information. I am what my friends call an 'activity slut'. Its kind of a harsh term but completely factual. I am the kind of person who participates in literally everything that I come across, be it charity organisations, school related projects, societies, etc. If I feel like I could contribute something to any project I do it, without any hesitation. I love working with people and trying to make the lives of people around me better and being involved in all these projects gives me the opportunity to do just that. I also do it for selfish reasons, I want to leave a legacy that will live on for decades after I have left this earth. I want to be remembered by each and everyone I come in contact with. What? I am only human! But one thing I never do is get involved in anything where I am uncertain about its success. All my moves are calculated, I only take part in things  I know for sure I will be