Skip to main content

Disclaimer real quick..!

Disclaimer real quick:
Just because I am from Africa doesn't mean I have a jungle for a backyard.
Just because I am from Africa doesn't mean that I have once found comfort on a tree as shelter.
You laugh, but the reality is that this is the Africa everyone else thinks exists.

The ignorance of the western world runs deeper and longer than the Nile River and yes if you didn't know the Nile River it's the second longest river in the world and can be found in Egypt, Africa.
No Africa is not one large country where you can easily walk from one part to the other.
There are 54 distinct countries that make up the continent that is Mama Africa.
And no, Botswana is not a city in South Africa, we are an independent country with laws and regulations that are unique to us.
And no, just because you once went to Tanzania on a school trip doesn't magically qualify you to be an expert in all things Africa.
I am African and I am still trying to understand the magnificent, diversity that is my continent.

I remember in my first few weeks away from home and someone commended me for my excellent command of the English language.
Now why would I not speak English so well when your forefathers came and imposed it on us?
When we were innocently going about our daily lives only to be disrupted by people who thought they knew better.
People who came and forced their ideologies down our throats and watched us as we had difficulty swallowing them.
The same people who, after depleting our natural resources went back to their countries and shunned us.
Yes I am talking about the evil that is colonialism.
How one race can think it's superior enough than the other to completely obliterate an entire continent's culture to enforce theirs still beats me, but hey I am just African right.

I only happen to come from the second most populated continent with 1.2 billion people.
I only happen to come from the richest continent in terms of natural resources.
I only happen to come from the home of the tallest and largest land animals.
I only happen to come from the continent with world's oldest literate civilisation; Pharaonic civilisation.

So next time you open your mouth to spew some racist, ignorant, unfounded comment about my continent, think twice.

Comments

  1. I Have personally experienced this, when I was in India.Most people automatically assumed I was from Nigeria because the town i stayed in was frequently visited by Nigerians.
    Great composition

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you... These ignorant people really like generalising and really should not be tolerated anymore!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Becoming 30!

                                    When I was 9 I wanted to be a pilot. I had just discovered my love for Maths and we were doing those problems solving questions in class that I absolutely love. Someone had told me pilots needed to be good in maths and science and that fit my description to a T! And then when I was 11 I wanted to be a lawyer. Lawyers talked a lot and knew about history and could defend themselves, and that was my whole personality then. Then 2 years later at 13 I discovered actuaries. They dealt with numbers and statistics and insurance and after one episode on SABC 2 about the day in the life of an actuary, I was convinced! I wanted to be an actuary for a while after that. Then finally 3 years later at 16 I learnt more about our then president, H.E. Dr Festus Mogae. He was an Economist. He combined his knowledge for maths and wanting to help people into being an economist. It was a no brainer after that, I wanted to be the female version of him. Honorary mention goe

"Love"

Can I let you on on a big secret? I am a sucker for love, romance, fairytale ending, the works. And for the first time I am happy to say I am not ashamed of it. Why should I be? Sure love hurts and it involves heartache and drama and binge eating - okay if I don't stop now I might retract that statement. I just recently discovered a poet called Rumi, he said: All we need is love's confusing joy . Dude was on point! If we are all really honest with ourselves we know what we want and that is someone who will accept us with our perfections and imperfections. Someone who will never leave no matter the mistakes we find ourselves making. Basically someone to love us. But lets face it, we are afraid. Everyone is afraid to open up, to be vulnerable, to give someone else the power to hurt us, some more than others. Truth be told I am scared too, just like everyone else the fear of getting hurt stops me from enjoying the fruits of love. But who can blame me, look around, nobody really

28

I am really not great with birthdays, mine that is. Every time August 5 th comes around, something in my brain just starts going haywire. And as I get closer to 30, things keep getting worse. However this year I want to switch things up and look at this wonderful day with a different set of lens. So, in my impulsive decision making, I decided to do a list of things I am grateful for. One for each year that I have been on this earth. So, here goes 28 things I am grateful for   1. My life. This one is pretty standard. I have lived a healthy life and free from this horrible pandemic.  2. My son’s life ; Leruo, who is going to be 3 years old in a week’s time. Yes we are both Leos.  3. My family. See if I was smart I would name them one by one and add to my list.  4. My friends . I have a great support system in terms of my friends. They are always ready to listen to my random thoughts and offer advice where necessary.  5. Winnie. I know technically she falls under friends, but she is w