Skip to main content

Nora & James: Part III


THE AFTERMATH

When Nora awoke the following morning she couldn't remember anything. But after a few seconds it all came back. At first she thought it had all been a dream, a colossal nightmare that she unfortunately had had many times before. But this time it wasn't a dream, James really had left. She couldn't remember when or how she fell asleep, all she remembered was the crying. And right on cue the tears came rolling down. It felt like someone had punched her in the stomach and tore out her heart all the same time. She was in literal physical pain. And speaking of her stomach, a weird sensation crept up on her. Almost toppling down the stairs, she rushed towards the bathroom. Just in time to hurl her insides out into the toilet. After almost 5 minutes of vomiting she was finally able to get herself sat up straight against the wall. "I am really sorry," she began recalling James' words. To be fair, he really did seem genuine when he said it, pained even. But that still didn't excuse him for what he had done. Everything they had planned out, their entire future, all down the drain, much like last night's pasta was now. It pained too much to think about it. Today was Thursday, a full uni day for her but there was no way she was going to school feeling like this. She was too weak to even get off the bathroom floor.
'Nora, Nora," Nora felt someone shaking her. She opened her eyes to find Katy's big blue eyes staring down at her. "Are you okay," Katy asked, with worry visible in her voice. "Why are you asking that?" Nora asked, barely audible. She was still groggy. "Because you passed out next to the loo," Katy answered trying to help her housemate up. After successfully getting her off the floor, Katy sat Nora on the living room couch before getting her a glass of water. Nora downed the water in seconds, "Thank you." She gave back the cup still feeling a bit weak. "Nora what's going on? Are you sick or something? Should I call James?" Katy asked. Literally at the mention of his name, tears came rolling down Nora's face again. "Don't bother," she told her house mate before heading back upstairs to her room. Once safely in bed, she switched off her mobile phone and went straight back to dreamland. Maybe this was a dream and she would wake up after all. She spent the whole day sleeping, in between crying that is. Occasionally she would go downstairs to the kitchen for a glass of water no juice but the majority of her day was spent in between the covers. Even when her housemates came knocking at the door she sent them away, talking about it would only make it more real than it was.
When Friday rolled around Nora still wasn't ready for school yet or to see anyone. She did however switch on her phone only to find multiple texts and missed calls from James. Curious, she called him back.
"Nora, oh my god, are you all right? I have been trying to call you ever since yesterday." James answered almost immediately.
Nora rolled her eyes, judging his genuineness, after what he had done she wasn't even sure if she knew him at all. Trying to compose herself, she asked calmly, "If you were so worried why didn't you come over and check on me?" Just hearing his voice made her heart sear with pain. She couldn't even begin to imagine how she would feel when she eventually got to see him.
James was silent for a while before replying, "Well you seemed very angry the other day, I was scared of what you might do to me. "
Nora couldn't believe her ears, here she was dying a slow death inside and all he could think of was what she would do to him?? The tears were freely streaming down, she had been crying so much since yesterday, dehydration was becoming a legitimate fear of hers. Not being able to contain herself anymore, she hung up the phone but not before she said, "Go to hell."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Becoming 30!

                                    When I was 9 I wanted to be a pilot. I had just discovered my love for Maths and we were doing those problems solving questions in class that I absolutely love. Someone had told me pilots needed to be good in maths and science and that fit my description to a T! And then when I was 11 I wanted to be a lawyer. Lawyers talked a lot and knew about history and could defend themselves, and that was my whole personality then. Then 2 years later at 13 I discovered actuaries. They dealt with numbers and statistics and insurance and after one episode on SABC 2 about the day in the life of an actuary, I was convinced! I wanted to be an actuary for a while after that. Then finally 3 years later at 16 I learnt more about our then president, H.E. Dr Festus Mogae. He was an Economist. He combined his knowledge for maths and wanting to help people into being an economist. It was a no brainer after that, I wanted to be the female version of him. Honorary mention goe

"Love"

Can I let you on on a big secret? I am a sucker for love, romance, fairytale ending, the works. And for the first time I am happy to say I am not ashamed of it. Why should I be? Sure love hurts and it involves heartache and drama and binge eating - okay if I don't stop now I might retract that statement. I just recently discovered a poet called Rumi, he said: All we need is love's confusing joy . Dude was on point! If we are all really honest with ourselves we know what we want and that is someone who will accept us with our perfections and imperfections. Someone who will never leave no matter the mistakes we find ourselves making. Basically someone to love us. But lets face it, we are afraid. Everyone is afraid to open up, to be vulnerable, to give someone else the power to hurt us, some more than others. Truth be told I am scared too, just like everyone else the fear of getting hurt stops me from enjoying the fruits of love. But who can blame me, look around, nobody really

28

I am really not great with birthdays, mine that is. Every time August 5 th comes around, something in my brain just starts going haywire. And as I get closer to 30, things keep getting worse. However this year I want to switch things up and look at this wonderful day with a different set of lens. So, in my impulsive decision making, I decided to do a list of things I am grateful for. One for each year that I have been on this earth. So, here goes 28 things I am grateful for   1. My life. This one is pretty standard. I have lived a healthy life and free from this horrible pandemic.  2. My son’s life ; Leruo, who is going to be 3 years old in a week’s time. Yes we are both Leos.  3. My family. See if I was smart I would name them one by one and add to my list.  4. My friends . I have a great support system in terms of my friends. They are always ready to listen to my random thoughts and offer advice where necessary.  5. Winnie. I know technically she falls under friends, but she is w