Skip to main content

Nora & James: Part II

JAMES

James wasn't Nora's first boyfriend not by far but she was quite certain he would be her last. Theirs was an interesting story if there ever was one. Like Nora, James was gifted. They had been enrolled in the same schools since they were 12. Academic rivals was the best way to explain their earlier relationship. In fact, when Nora was awarded her college scholarship, James was the only other person in her school who also received it. But they never interacted on a social level. Just a few polite hellos at most had been exchanged between them for 6 whole years.

There is no 'Nora and James' without Eddie. When Nora was 19 she started seeing Eddie. Eddie was charming and funny and quite popular among the girls so naturally she was very flattered by the attention. What started out as casual dating blossomed into a full blown relationship in the space of two months. That's when Eddie introduced Nora to his friends. "This is Jess, Brad and I think you know James," Eddie said to Nora one afternoon at a local pub. Eddie had planned the whole thing, very eager to let his friends meet the girl who had been taking up all his time. The Waterhole was a hotspot for most of their school mates probably because it was only a few hundred metres away from the college campus. "Hi," Nora waved shyly at the people before her. She felt on display, which was very uncomfortable. Jess was tall and slim with fair skin, just the kind of girl who intimidated Nora. Brad wasn't as tall as either Eddie or James but he had a friendly face that relaxed Nora a bit. "It's very nice to meet you Nora. Eddie won't shut up about you," Jess broke the silence. "Well that's just uncalled for," Eddie glared at her. The other two laughed and they all sat around the wooden table before them. After they had ordered some drinks, Brad took over the conversation. "Wait, you two know each other?" Brad asked pointing his fingers at James and Nora. "Yes we do, remember I told you guys about a girl who I went to school with before I came here?" James answered. "The really smart girl who you couldn't beat in Math?" Jess chimed in. James looked away shyly, he had only ever admitted that to his closest friends and now they were embarrassing him. "Oh my word, that girl is Nora? My Nora?" Eddie exclaimed. He had never seen the connection until now. "Aww, you tried to beat me at Math, that's never happening!" Nora boasted with a smile. It felt good knowing that her number one rival since she could remember actually thought she was better than her at something. The whole table erupted in laughter, including James. In no time, Nora had grown quite comfortable with the group and became more open. She thought they all seemed nice, even James whom she had barely ever had a conversation with was nice. But then again it could have been the alcohol. Halfway through Brad's impersonation of their Biology teacher, James phone rang. The ringtone seemed familiar to Nora. "Oh my word, is that the theme song to How I Met Your Mother?" Nora screamed excitedly. James let the phone go to voicemail before answering Nora. "It is, do you watch the show?" James seemed excited too at this new found common ground. "Well of course! It's only the best show ever!" Nora smiled. "What? Not you too," groaned Eddie. He knew his best friend was obsessed with the show, he hadn't realised that his girlfriend was too. "Thank you!" James smiled in agreement with Nora. That was the first time Nora noticed his dimples, they only seemed to show when he was genuinely smiling.

From that night onwards, Nora officially became part of Eddie's circle of friends. They hung out all together whenever they had the chance. Jess and Nora grew very close too, since she had been the only girl in the group, she welcomed Nora with both arms. At first Nora was overwhelmed, sure she had had friends before but this new group was as thick as thieves, something she had never been a part of.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Becoming 30!

                                    When I was 9 I wanted to be a pilot. I had just discovered my love for Maths and we were doing those problems solving questions in class that I absolutely love. Someone had told me pilots needed to be good in maths and science and that fit my description to a T! And then when I was 11 I wanted to be a lawyer. Lawyers talked a lot and knew about history and could defend themselves, and that was my whole personality then. Then 2 years later at 13 I discovered actuaries. They dealt with numbers and statistics and insurance and after one episode on SABC 2 about the day in the life of an actuary, I was convinced! I wanted to be an actuary for a while after that. Then finally 3 years later at 16 I learnt more about our then president, H.E. Dr Festus Mogae. He was an Economist. He combined his knowledge for maths and wanting to help people into being an economist. It was a no brainer after that, I wanted to be the female version of him. Honorary mention goe

"Love"

Can I let you on on a big secret? I am a sucker for love, romance, fairytale ending, the works. And for the first time I am happy to say I am not ashamed of it. Why should I be? Sure love hurts and it involves heartache and drama and binge eating - okay if I don't stop now I might retract that statement. I just recently discovered a poet called Rumi, he said: All we need is love's confusing joy . Dude was on point! If we are all really honest with ourselves we know what we want and that is someone who will accept us with our perfections and imperfections. Someone who will never leave no matter the mistakes we find ourselves making. Basically someone to love us. But lets face it, we are afraid. Everyone is afraid to open up, to be vulnerable, to give someone else the power to hurt us, some more than others. Truth be told I am scared too, just like everyone else the fear of getting hurt stops me from enjoying the fruits of love. But who can blame me, look around, nobody really

28

I am really not great with birthdays, mine that is. Every time August 5 th comes around, something in my brain just starts going haywire. And as I get closer to 30, things keep getting worse. However this year I want to switch things up and look at this wonderful day with a different set of lens. So, in my impulsive decision making, I decided to do a list of things I am grateful for. One for each year that I have been on this earth. So, here goes 28 things I am grateful for   1. My life. This one is pretty standard. I have lived a healthy life and free from this horrible pandemic.  2. My son’s life ; Leruo, who is going to be 3 years old in a week’s time. Yes we are both Leos.  3. My family. See if I was smart I would name them one by one and add to my list.  4. My friends . I have a great support system in terms of my friends. They are always ready to listen to my random thoughts and offer advice where necessary.  5. Winnie. I know technically she falls under friends, but she is w