Skip to main content

Red and White

A lot of people who don't celebrate Valentine's Day reason that we should celebrate our loved ones everyday and not just on a particular day. Pardon me but I find this logic flawed. It's like saying Mother's Day shouldn't be celebrated because we ought to honour our mothers every day of the year. 

In this day and age where we are too busy to even sit down and have a proper meal it is imperative that we set apart special days to reflect and celebrate our loved ones. Either through Mother's Day, Father's Day or even Valentine's Day. There are so many things going on in each of our lives, be it school, work, businesses, church that sometimes we unintentionally forget to appreciate our loved ones. This is where Valentine's Day comes in, its an opportunity to say , 'Even when I don't show it sometimes, I do appreciate your presence in my life.'

Another reason why people may not observe this day is because they are single. In countries like Finland and Japan, Valentine's Day actually celebrates friendship. So if you do happen to celebrate the love you have for your friends, you won't be alone. Back in primary school when this day approached, everyone was obliged to buy a card and chocolate sweets and then exchange them with the person they sat next to. Of course you could buy extra for your 'special somebodys' but at the end of the day everyone went home with a card feeling special. I think this was a brilliant idea. This is the 21st century, who says you can't buy your best friend a box of chocolates to appreciate them?

Even though this day has been heavily exploited by literally all the industries, it's purpose remains clear, a day to honour the special people in our lives who make life worth living. It doesn't have to be someone you have romantic feelings for. 

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY (in advance)!! And I hope you all honour the special people in your lives on this day.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Becoming 30!

                                    When I was 9 I wanted to be a pilot. I had just discovered my love for Maths and we were doing those problems solving questions in class that I absolutely love. Someone had told me pilots needed to be good in maths and science and that fit my description to a T! And then when I was 11 I wanted to be a lawyer. Lawyers talked a lot and knew about history and could defend themselves, and that was my whole personality then. Then 2 years later at 13 I discovered actuaries. They dealt with numbers and statistics and insurance and after one episode on SABC 2 about the day in the life of an actuary, I was convinced! I wanted to be an actuary for a while after that. Then finally 3 years later at 16 I learnt more about our then president, H.E. Dr Festus Mogae. He was an Economist. He combined his knowledge for maths and wanting to help people into being an economist. It was a no brainer after that, I wanted to be the female version of him. Honorary mention goe

"Love"

Can I let you on on a big secret? I am a sucker for love, romance, fairytale ending, the works. And for the first time I am happy to say I am not ashamed of it. Why should I be? Sure love hurts and it involves heartache and drama and binge eating - okay if I don't stop now I might retract that statement. I just recently discovered a poet called Rumi, he said: All we need is love's confusing joy . Dude was on point! If we are all really honest with ourselves we know what we want and that is someone who will accept us with our perfections and imperfections. Someone who will never leave no matter the mistakes we find ourselves making. Basically someone to love us. But lets face it, we are afraid. Everyone is afraid to open up, to be vulnerable, to give someone else the power to hurt us, some more than others. Truth be told I am scared too, just like everyone else the fear of getting hurt stops me from enjoying the fruits of love. But who can blame me, look around, nobody really

28

I am really not great with birthdays, mine that is. Every time August 5 th comes around, something in my brain just starts going haywire. And as I get closer to 30, things keep getting worse. However this year I want to switch things up and look at this wonderful day with a different set of lens. So, in my impulsive decision making, I decided to do a list of things I am grateful for. One for each year that I have been on this earth. So, here goes 28 things I am grateful for   1. My life. This one is pretty standard. I have lived a healthy life and free from this horrible pandemic.  2. My son’s life ; Leruo, who is going to be 3 years old in a week’s time. Yes we are both Leos.  3. My family. See if I was smart I would name them one by one and add to my list.  4. My friends . I have a great support system in terms of my friends. They are always ready to listen to my random thoughts and offer advice where necessary.  5. Winnie. I know technically she falls under friends, but she is w