Skip to main content

I miss that girl...

Earlier today I took an online personality test that prepares you for competency questions when applying for jobs, etc. The instructions were simple. You are given a couple of statements that describe a person and you choose how well they reflect your personality. As I was doing the questions I did a lot of thinking. Some of the statements included:

             'I never submit any work until I am 100% sure that is accurate.'

I remember a time in my early teens when that statement fully described me. I wouldn't submit any school work that I hadn't put 110% effort in. But nowadays I find myself submitting assignments for the sake of submitting  without putting in any effort. I miss that girl.

           'I often come up with innovative ideas to solving a problem.'

I used to be so creative and spontaneous! In my spare time I wrote poems and plays and short stories. My English essays were always so entertaining and original. If you assked me when was the last time I wrote anything creative, I wouldn't have an answer. I miss that girl.

           'I am open to new and challenging opportunities.'

When I started senior secondary school I did Additional Mathematics because I wanted a challenge. An older student had informed me that it was one of the most difficult subjects in the world and that almost everyone who did it never got an A. I chose it specifically to disprove his hypothesis and I actually didn't do too bad in it. I miss that girl.

When did I become this unmotivated, lazy, unimaginative person? Have all the trials and tribulations of life taken such a toll on me that I can't recognise myself anymore? I miss that girl, she was hopeful, she had ambition, she had dreams.

PS: I know I complain a lot about school but I am a student, that's the most important thing I have got going on in my life right now

Comments

  1. I absolutely agree, its like u lose focus as grow older i guess. I used to refresh with mathematics, i was never lazy and sometimes i would challenge myself with concepts beyond my level but someway somehow i will manage to figure it out..I used to think of my books even on my sleep. All that its gone now, the only thing i can think of is when am i going to finish school and start working blah blah..I have been lazy and i do not understand what happened to me. I guess its normal we all ask ourselves the same questions..what happened to the old me? where is that young motivated and ambitious lady at?We grow up to be lazy, but am determined to go back to the old me so Lord help me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right! I really do hope I can get back to that old me soon but I am just so discouraged I dont even know how to begin to get there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. dont look at the past and compare yourself then and now....that was a different past a different person, different circumstances. Let go of the past and accept what is what now, and try to change what you dont like. Times change, society changes and most importantly people change. Thats what i learnt the last academic year when my life was falling apart.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Comeback

It's been a whole entire year and some months since I last wrote down my thoughts on here. I could lie and blame my busy life and university for my absence but I wouldn't be doing anyone justice. Truth is I got scared, I got scared of all the things going on around me that writing them down would have forced me to face them. Over the past year I have been through so much, both joy and pain, I have learnt so much, all of which I want to share 😊 Firstly, you never know how strong you are until you have to be. And this applies to everyone, YOU ARE STRONG ! It doesn't matter what you are going through, you will survive it. You just gotta have faith in yourself. Secondly we need to appreciate the people we have in our lives (friends and family). You never know when you are going to need them around you because nothing beats the support system comprised of your loved ones 💞 You know that popular Justin Bieber song, Love Yourself ? I know it has a different message to what ...

Out of my comfort zone

For what I am about to share to make sense, I need to give you a bit of background information. I am what my friends call an 'activity slut'. Its kind of a harsh term but completely factual. I am the kind of person who participates in literally everything that I come across, be it charity organisations, school related projects, societies, etc. If I feel like I could contribute something to any project I do it, without any hesitation. I love working with people and trying to make the lives of people around me better and being involved in all these projects gives me the opportunity to do just that. I also do it for selfish reasons, I want to leave a legacy that will live on for decades after I have left this earth. I want to be remembered by each and everyone I come in contact with. What? I am only human! But one thing I never do is get involved in anything where I am uncertain about its success. All my moves are calculated, I only take part in things  I know for sure I will be...

"Love"

Can I let you on on a big secret? I am a sucker for love, romance, fairytale ending, the works. And for the first time I am happy to say I am not ashamed of it. Why should I be? Sure love hurts and it involves heartache and drama and binge eating - okay if I don't stop now I might retract that statement. I just recently discovered a poet called Rumi, he said: All we need is love's confusing joy . Dude was on point! If we are all really honest with ourselves we know what we want and that is someone who will accept us with our perfections and imperfections. Someone who will never leave no matter the mistakes we find ourselves making. Basically someone to love us. But lets face it, we are afraid. Everyone is afraid to open up, to be vulnerable, to give someone else the power to hurt us, some more than others. Truth be told I am scared too, just like everyone else the fear of getting hurt stops me from enjoying the fruits of love. But who can blame me, look around, nobody really ...